A Message from the Vice President for Student Affairs About Fall 2020
Earlier today, President Fram Virjee sent out a video message with information about the 2020-21 academic year, spotlighting Cal State Fullerton’s approach and plans for the Fall 2020 semester. The reason I am writing now is to further inform, prepare, and hopefully engage and inspire you as we continue in a predominantly virtual educational environment. CSUF wants to set you up as best as possible for your academic success and preparation for the upcoming semester.
Before I go any further, I want to take a moment to emphasize how deeply I miss being on campus. However, as the old adage goes, tough times don’t last but tough people do. We will continue to navigate the COVID-19 pandemic with great care and we will find a way to a better tomorrow. We will get through this moment in time. With all that said, let’s dive into the details.
- The Division of Student Affairs is here to support you. Our Counseling & Psychological Services team, Diversity Initiatives & Resource Centers team, TitanWell team, Health Center team, the Dean of Students, and every other department supporting CSUF students is operational online. We are here for you virtually throughout this pandemic.
- I encourage you to bookmark coronavirus.fullerton.edu and check the site regularly. Just added to the website is an FAQ section for students. Also, critical information related to COVID-19 and the university/local/state response is available there.
- For those of you needing technology assistance and equipment please submit your requests through the Division of Information Technology.
- For students with in-person classes during Fall 2020, you can expect another email from the Associate Vice President for Students Affairs & Dean of Students, Vincent Vigil, outlining and reminding of health and safety guidelines set forth by CSUF. These guidelines are also found on the CSUF coronavirus website mentioned above.
- I will be joining our ASI President and ASI Vice President for a student-moderated webinar, where many important topics outlined here and in the abovementioned FAQ will be covered. The webinar will be dropping soon on our @CSUFstudents Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube accounts, so stay tuned.
On a personal note, I need you to know something about me. Although I am new to the Vice President role at Cal State Fullerton, one thing that is not new is the fact that I am all about students. I am your ally and will make things happen for you. I joined CSUF seven years ago, and one thing that I can assure you is that my interactions and support for students will never change. Every single decision that I make is student-centered, and I strive to support present and future generations of Titans.
I also want to acknowledge that, more than ever before, our education and work as a community related to anti-racism, equity, and inclusion is imperative. We see it on the news every single day, and while it may feel like a lot at times, let me remind you that we are in this together. My team is here to support, educate, discuss, and assist everyone as we eradicate systemic racism. In fact, this summer, our Diversity Initiatives & Resource Centers, Male Success Initiative – Fullerton, and Office of the President and Vice Presidents, have been hosting powerful and moving virtual engagement opportunities for students to participate in this important work. Our campus will host more of these educational opportunities in the Fall 2020 semester, and I would love for you to keep track of these matters through our Student Affairs and campus websites. I also encourage you to visit our Titans Together website, hosted by Human Resources and Diversity Initiatives, and participate in our common read of The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez.
In closing, thank you for taking the time to read this email. I know that this message has been robust, ripe with information that may in fact be riper than the oranges out front of Langsdorf Hall. You will have many more meaningful messages from me in the future. I care about each one of you, as does our campus. Please be safe and stay healthy. Wear a mask. Practice social distancing. We are in this together.
Be well, be joyous!
Vice President for Student Affairs